Close Menu
Invest Insider News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wednesday, May 20
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    Invest Insider News
    • Home
    • Bitcoin
    • Commodities
    • Finance
    • Investing
    • Property
    • Stock Market
    • Utilities
    Invest Insider News
    Home»Property»‘Complex’ property rights could stymie plans to remove domestic abusers from homes – The Irish Times
    Property

    ‘Complex’ property rights could stymie plans to remove domestic abusers from homes – The Irish Times

    November 16, 20254 Mins Read


    “Complex” issues around constitutional property rights could complicate Government plans that would allow for the removal of domestic abusers from family homes in high-risk cases.

    The Department of Justice is considering legislating for powerful removal orders, which would place the burden of leaving the family home on the perpetrators of domestic violence rather than on the victim and their children.

    However, the department has received legal advice which is understood to reference the constitutional rights of the alleged abuser.

    A view has emerged within the Government that the number of people made homeless by domestic violence may be understated in official figures.

    Of the 1,532 households that presented as homeless to local authorities in the third quarter of this year, 379 cited relationship breakdown or family circumstances as the reason they were homeless. It was the leading reason for homelessness during that period, ahead of notices of termination for rental properties, which made 325 households homeless.

    A further 55 households specifically cited domestic violence as the reason they were presenting as homeless. It is understood that some officials believe the relationship breakdown figure may also include people who have fled abusive or dangerous relationships.

    Domestic abuse has been recorded as a cause of homelessness in official statistics since the start of last year. However, some domestic abuse refuges have questioned the accuracy of these figures, which frontline workers believe do not fully capture the number of people made homeless because of domestic violence.

    Some women and children are living long term in domestic abuse refuges as they have nowhere else to move on to because of the housing crisis. These abuse survivors are not counted in official homelessness statistics.

    Concerns have also been expressed by refuges and Cuan, the State agency for domestic violence, that the threat of becoming homeless could be forcing some survivors to return to the family home and the abusive relationship.

    The Government’s latest housing plan, published last week, said removing the legal barriers that can prevent people experiencing domestic violence from remaining at home is recognised as “an important factor in preventing homelessness”.

    The department confirmed it was considering new removal orders for abusers, which would be similar to the domestic abuse protection order (DPO) in the UK. First introduced in parts of England last year, DPOs give police enhanced powers to set exclusion zones for perpetrators of domestic abuse – which can include the family home.

    “The department is committed to exploring means of ensuring, to the greatest extent possible, that the burden of leaving the family home does not fall on those experiencing abuse,” a spokeswoman said.

    “In particular, legal advice has been sought in relation to whether removal orders could be introduced, similar to the domestic abuse protection order that operates in the UK, as a short-term means of ensuring that perpetrators of domestic abuse can be removed from the home in high-risk cases.”

    She added: “The legal and constitutional issues around proposals of this nature are complex and the advice received is currently under consideration.”

    Meanwhile, Minister for State at the Department of Housing John Cummins yesterday said consideration is being given to exemptions to planning laws which would allow properties to be subdivided into apartments and for modular homes to be constructed behind homes.

    The Sunday Times reported that Minister for Housing James Browne had said he supported there being “choice” for older people, which included giving them the option to split their property into apartments.

    “There’s nobody going to force older people to do something that they don’t want to do with regards to their home,” Mr Cummins told RTÉ Radio 1’s This Week.

    He said he would be bringing forward proposals for domestic exemptions in the new year.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleChicago homeowners frustrated as property tax bills continue to climb
    Next Article Stocks Week Ahead: Event Risk Builds as Nvidia Earnings and Jobs Data Loom

    Related Posts

    Property

    Why is Property Management So Complex?

    May 20, 2026
    Property

    Shortlists revealed for South Yorkshire Property Awards

    May 20, 2026
    Property

    Switalskis makes senior appointment to bolster South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire commercial property service

    May 18, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    How is the UK Commercial Property Market Performing?

    December 31, 2000

    How much are they in different states across the US?

    December 31, 2000

    A Guide To Becoming A Property Developer

    December 31, 2000
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews
    Bitcoin

    L’élan optimiste de Bitcoin: 100 000 $ pourraient-ils être atteints dans les 14 prochains jours?

    May 9, 2025
    Bitcoin

    Bitcoin Price Bottoms Out? Les espoirs de récupération augmentent après la formation de base

    June 20, 2025
    Bitcoin

    Investment banking activity rises, bitcoin rallies: Catalysts

    October 16, 2024
    What's Hot

    The Reflation Narrative: Earnings Growth Becomes the Market’s Next Test

    February 6, 2026

    Ce trader perd près de 100 millions de dollars en une semaine sur le Bitcoin (BTC)

    May 30, 2025

    Forget Bitcoin: This Crypto Is the Smarter Buy Right Now

    March 27, 2026
    Most Popular

    FTSE plunges as recession fears trigger global sell-off

    August 5, 2024

    China’s Kaisa Group liquidation hearing adjourned by Hong Kong court

    August 12, 2024

    Charter Hall Retail REIT augmente sa participation dans Hotel Property Investments ; les actions augmentent de 3 %. -Le 17 février 2025 à 01:43

    February 16, 2025
    Editor's Picks

    BRICS Summit Kicks Off As Lawmakers Discuss Using Bitcoin (BTC) To Evade US Sanctions: Report

    October 23, 2024

    Finance minister to consider alternatives after business rates process halted

    February 2, 2026

    Former UK chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng backs bitcoin investment company

    November 4, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    © 2026 Invest Insider News

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.